Tuesday, August 25, 2015

The only Pope who worked as a Pastor of a Parish

There are two feasts of Pope Saint Pius X. The first, August 21, the day after his birthday into Paradise (the 20th is "occupied" by the great St. Bernard), is in the Missal of Blessed Paul VI. The other is on September 3, which is a day associated with Pope St. Gregory the Great.

I regard this time between the two feasts as a time of very special graces. Of the 269 popes only worked as a pastor of souls in charge of a parish. Pope Saint Pius X. And, as if to ratify and signal that this was very important, he was elected on the birthday into Heaven of the patron saint of Pastors of parishes, St. John Vianney.
I offer for your consideration and devotion a Novena prayer to the great and holy pope...

A Novena to Pope Saint Pius X

MOST Sacred Heart of Jesus, I have asked Thee for many favours, but, through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary and through the prayers and merits of St. Joseph, I plead for this one: please have mercy on me, and on all our priests, especially Pastors of parishes, through the intercession of Pope Saint Pius X. Take us, place us in Thy open, broken Heart, and when the Eternal Father sees us, covered with a mantle of Thy Most Precious Blood, He will not refuse His mercy. This is now not my prayer, but Thine.

Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in Thee. (3 times)

O Heart of Jesus, by Thee, I salute Pope Saint Pius X. I give Thee thanks for all the graces he received during this life, and for all the graces men received through his prayers, merits and sufferings, and through his sacred ministry in particular, during his life on this earth. I thank Thee for the glory he now enjoys. I thank Thee for all the graces ever received by us on earth through his intercession and help from Paradise. I pray, O Lord, for his own intentions. I ask mercy for the souls in Purgatory who were devoted to him. I beg Thee to give that he pray for me, a poor sinner.

Hail, holy pontiff ! Hail, good and faithful servant of the Lord! Dear Pope Saint Pius X, please plead for us before the Divine Majesty upon Which you have gazed for a hundred and one years. Please go to the Virgin Mary, and ask her to ask for us from the Divine Heart of her Son, to draw from that Heart, to obtain from that Heart, and to grant to us graces and mercies from His infinite Goodness.

I ask for the salvation of my soul. I beg for a happy and holy death, with your presence to strengthen and defend me, the gift and the spirit of prayer. Please ask for us, and especially for all our priests, the grace to do and to do well the daily meditation on the “eternal truths”, a very great devotion to the Most Holy Eucharist, the grace of a true devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Give our priests the grace to proclaim, explain and defend the Catholic Faith that comes to us from the Apostles. Please free us all, and ask that we be freed from all pride and self deception: may the Holy Spirit work in us, and give us a humble and contrite heart. Please obtain for us the spirit of compunction. We ask to be freed from and whole-heartedly, efficaciously and fruitfully –in a God-pleasing way– to oppose and refute –each of us according to our state in life– all “diabolical disorientation” and all theological modernism. Please enlighten and strength all our priests prudently and wisely to oppose erroneous progressivism. In union with St. Anthony of Padua, whom you loved and love, please pray for them and help them to be good and clear, wise and courageous, and supernaturally fruitful preachers.

In union with St Jean Marie Baptiste Vianney, I beg you to pray for our Pastors and to help them to be a good and faithful, like the Curé of Ars and like you were. Urgently, therefore, I beg you to pray for them and to help our priests to be a good catechists. May no priest ever despise this humble and absolutely necessary task !

Through your prayer and merits I ask for all the graces I need, that God’s holy will be fulfilled in me and in all His creatures. Amen. Kyrie eleison. Christe eleison.Kyrie Eleison.

Christ hear us. Christ graciously hear us.
God the Father of Heaven,have mercy on us
God the Sn, Redeemer of the world, have mercy on us
God the Holy Spirit, have mercy on us
Holy Trinity, one God have mercy on us

Holy Mary pray for us
Holy Mother of God "
Holy Virgin of virgins "
St. Michael "
All you holy angels "
St. Joseph "
St John the Baptist "
St. Peter and St. Paul "
St. Anthony of Padua "
St. Jean Vianney "
Pope Saint Pius X "

1 comment:

  1. Lovely prayer, Father McDonald. Welcome to Chippawa! (P.S. the fish and chips are really good at the Chippawa House and you will see many of your neighbours there on Friday nights)
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete